Friday, June 10, 2005

writing with a view

I got so distracted with real life this week that I could not write a word. Family demands, friends in need, the RWA mess, my birthday, e-mails, phone calls, promo needs, looming deadlines--argh!!!

I remembered that when Sherrilyn Kenyon spoke to our RWA chapter, she said hotel rooms were wonderful low-distraction places in which to write. I decided to try it. I told my husband I was going away for a night and why, and he was all for it (probably because I was getting cranky).

I'm lucky in that I live in a resort town, and in the off-season (which is now) resorts offer smoking deals to locals who like to live here year-round. So my husband made a reservation for me at a lovely four-diamond, small luxury resort in the desert hills and off I went.

Good choice! It was quiet and beautiful, and because I deliberately never configured the Internet on my laptop and I rarely watch TV, distractions were null. I sat at a window overlooking the beautiful mountains, played CDs, ordered room service, and wrote and wrote and wrote.

View from my bedroom window.


Even better, my husband came out late in the evening, and we had a nice romantic dinner together. He had to get up early and go back to work, which gave me another chunk of writing time before I was ready to go home.

One night was enough. I got a ton of writing done, I unwound, and perhaps saved my marriage (g). I highly recommend this form of writing therapy.

Jennifer
www.jennifersromances.com

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea -- and what a gorgeous view!

There is definitely something to be said for getting away from your usual setting to get the creative juices flowing. I will often go off to our local Borders Cafe on a Friday evening, but an overnight retreat sounds marvelous.

 
At 11:55 AM , Blogger Kate Allan said...

Sounds a fabulous idea and funnily enough sometimes just the change of scene is enough to spark some great writing.

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner said...

Wish I could do it every week! (g) Seriously, it really helped.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home