Friday, September 15, 2006

rude awakening

My husband, sweet man, takes care of the household taxes (I do monthly bills, he does the taxes). This morning at 6:30 am he leans over me in bed and whispers silkily: "I need a check for [large amount of $$$] so I can mail in your quarterly taxes today."

Oh gee, what a way to wake up. I, as usual, completely forgot it was tax day. I stumble to the office to write out the large check, my peaceful dreams ruined. At least my dh went out and got me a bagel.

Paying taxes quarterly is one of the joys of writing full time. I do keep a running list of my business expenses so in April when yearly taxes are due, I can figure in deductions and hopefully have broken even or get a return. But those quarterly days sneak up on you and smack you hard!

It's now mid-morning and I haven't been able to concentrate at all. Sat on the patio--it was actually nice and cool! and made notes about my 3-year and 5-year goals and what I want to write after I finish the kazillion projects I'm into now. I'm determined to get mostly done with current books before turning in more proposals, so I don't get horrible deadline stacks like I have now.

Something cool, though--apparently my Ashley Gardner name appeared briefly in the Sept. 8 edition of Entertainment Weekly, on p. 165. Author Cara King emailed me to tell me. I had no idea! (It was a brief mention of A Covent Garden Mystery.) Neat.

Well, hopefully I can get back to writing today. I've been averaging 3-4K a day which isn't too bad. That means of course that some days I do 6,000 words, and others I limp in with 1,000. I'm currently working on the second book of the dragon series (first book Dragon Heat will be out in July of 2007.)

Happy tax day!
www.jennifersromances.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home