Sunday, October 30, 2005

getting ready

I'm getting ready to go to Hawaii in a few days for much-needed R&R. Except, well, I'm taking both my laptop and my alphie. Hope to do a gob of writing on the flights to and from. I won't have Internet there, so any writing I do will be pure creative writing, no blogging, no emailing, no posting on loops (cause I never do that instead of writing my quota :-).

Have much to do before I leave, so running around frantically. Ok, does anyone dislike superstores as much as me? By the time I get in the door, my feet hurt already from walking across the vast parking lot, and then the tiny item I want is way in the back corner. Or--I'm in aisle three and find out I need to be in aisle twenty-seven. Please bring back corner grocery stores, book shops, hardware stores . . . Places people knew your name and what you wanted.

But then, book superstores and discount stores all carry my books, which I need to sell in order to put food on the table--bought at huge supermarkets. There's a vicious cycle in all this!

www.jennifersromances.com

3 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Blogger Madeline Hill said...

aahhhhh..HAWAII! LUCKY JENN! What is your favortie island? Mine is Kauai. I love how the roosters got loose during Hurricane Iniki, and the last time I was there, they now run free all over the island, through the resorts, on K'ee Beach-- --I LOVE IT!

Superstores: Well, I am just barely old enough that I grew up in a Philadelphia neighborhood with a corner candy store/deli, a butcher, and the Italian grocery store, all within walking distance. We did not have a cartill I was older and we moved to the 'burbs.And we did not have a freezer, just a small ice cube compartment, so you just shopped a few times a week (instead of "stocking up!") and visited with your neighbors and the proprietors.. sounds like a real life, doesn't it???

Oh yes, there was also the drugstore where I would hand the lady clerk a note from my Mom that said "Kotex" on it and she would give me a brown paper bag.

Is there somewhere where all this still happens?????????? Iceland maybe? Missoula?? BISBEE???

MAHALO!

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner said...

Thanks Susan! I'm an Internet addict, so this intervention will be good for me.

So, Chey, what kind of stores are in Bisbee? Was there once, but couldn't stay long. Is it much like Jerome?

Madeline, I love the story about the brown paper bag (LOL).

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger Madeline Hill said...

Oh Chey, I absolutely adore small Arizona towns.. one year my husband and I tried to "almost" relocate to Strawberry but we weren't quite ready.. maybe someday!! I have been to Bisbee once.. way cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home